St Isidore’s is a large, high-set timber residence, situated on the eastern edge of the Blackall Range, at Mapleton. Parish Ministries We are very grateful for the many parishioners who offer their time and talent to the Lord through our parish ministries. It is also significant as one of the few remaining substantial homes of this era left on the Range. A provisional school opened in mid, and the original Nambour-Mapleton road, used by wheeled vehicles since c. St Isidore’s presents an aesthetically pleasing exterior, engendered largely by its complex hipped roof clad with corrugated iron sheeting not the original , and decorative timberwork to verandahs and gables. The place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class of cultural places. Founded in , St.
|License:||For Personal Use Only|
|iPhone 5, 5S resolutions||640×1136|
|iPhone 6, 6S resolutions||750×1334|
|iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus resolutions||1080×1920|
|Android Mobiles HD resolutions||360×640, 540×960, 720×1280|
|Android Mobiles Full HD resolutions||1080×1920|
|Mobiles HD resolutions||480×800, 768×1280|
|Mobiles QHD, iPhone X resolutions||1440×2560|
|HD resolutions||1280×720, 1366×768, 1600×900, 1920×1080, 2560×1440, Original|
In addition, much use of early 20th century coloured glass has been made throughout the house – in windows, doors, side and fanlights to doors and to windows, and as a screen between the entrance vestibule and the hallway which leads to the bedrooms.
In other projects Wikimedia Commons. By Februarywhen the National Catholic Rural Movement NCRM took over management of St Isidore’s Farm College, aiming to bring it back into production and to establish an Agricultural Training College, there was no cultivation and no livestock on the farm, the property was overgrown with weeds, and its three houses, including the former Seaview residence, were in disrepair.
Timber used in the construction is likely to have been milled locally, WH Rosser having opened the Mapleton Sawmill, about 1 mile 1. The place is significant for its association with WJ Smith and his family and their important contribution to the isodofe and growth of Mapleton and to the development of fruitgrowing in Queensland in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. By the early s Mapleton was a prosperous agricultural district, specialising in citrus and banana growing and dairying.
The original diagonally arranged battens between the stumps have been replaced streer later weatherboards, but most of this is obscured by surrounding garden plantings. Click here to check out our groups. Attached to the rear of the house is a conservatory. The geo-coordinates were originally computed from the “Queensland heritage register boundaries” published by the State of Queensland under CC-BY 3. The sale included Seaview House: This is a partnership with families.
The Range had become one of the leading fruit-producing districts in Queensland, and Seaview Orchard was famous.
Mapleton is now principally a stfeet and tourist area, with some small-scale fruit and vegetable farming.
St Isidore’s was listed on the Queensland Heritage Register on 28 July having satisfied the following criteria.
A photograph published in but likely taken c. The place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class of cultural places. A photograph published in The Queenslander of 29 July shows the core of the present house, with its two front gables and front and side verandahs, set in a partly established garden.
The Smiths David Smith snr who had joined his sons at Mapleton c. Some of the early garden layout may survive. A dormitory wing extension to Seaview House was planned; a farm manager was employed; and the property was renamed St Isidore’s Farm College. The interior is remarkable for its extensive use of decorative pressed metal ceilingscornicesceiling roses, architravesand dados, in almost every room of the house. In WJ and TD Smith, both in their early twenties, explored the Mapleton district then unnamed on the Blackall Range, in search of land suitable for banana growing.
All the gables have timber finials. Both William and Annie died in the s, when in their eighties. The place demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of Queensland’s cultural heritage.
St Isidore’s – Wikipedia
Email Us stisidorechurch comcast. The Smith brothers each selected land at the eastern edge of the range, near later Mapleton Fallsbut WJ Smith relinquished his claim when he realised the block selected was not the land he anticipated. In they retired isodkre citrus growing and moved sgreet Northgate in Brisbane, but prior to their leaving the Mapleton district, they were accorded a public farewell and address.
Etched glass has also been used, although not as extensively. Views Read Edit View history. In the North Coast railway line was completed as far as Cabooltureand a coach ran to Noosabut the only way into the Blackall Range was by foot. Deacon Mitchell was ordained as Permanent Deacon in The grounds contain several mature trees, possibly part of the early 20th century garden, including a large fig tree on the northern boundary of the house block.
Duhig acquired in total about acres at Mapleton, which he intended to develop as a Catholic agricultural college.